Sign in to follow this  
deranger

Dash bulbs

Hey Guys,

I am sure this has/has not been covered before, but I have some new bulbs for the dash. I dont know exactly how to go ahead and replace the old ones. I unscrewed some screws earlier to no-avail (though after a bottle of red, it wasn't exactly the best idea)

Anyone got the time to help me out with what needs to be done or link me to somewhere with nub-friendly instructions? S13 Silvia btw, all I want to do it replace the '2' bulbs that light up the speedo and other dials. I didn't think it would be EASY.

Cheers!

Try when not drunk. And then remove all screws surrounding dash shroud etc. its actually really easy.

its quite easy. if possible remove steering wheel. undo all the screws for the cluster and pull it forward. change bulbs and check that they light up. squeeze it back in. screw it in and steering wheel back on. done.

if your gonna change 2 bulbs must as well buy a set of leds and change all the bulbs for piece of mind

Killer link, _180 that's exactly what I was hunting down unsuccessfully yesterday.

I guess my biggest fear with touching the car and changing shit is that I'll break something or important stuff wont work when I need to car for work the following day.

I have actually got a set of LED's for the dash that I found on ebay, not sure why I thought there were only 2 bulbs as there's easily 5 or 6 still in the padded envelope!

Killer link, _180 that's exactly what I was hunting down unsuccessfully yesterday.

I guess my biggest fear with touching the car and changing shit is that I'll break something or important stuff wont work when I need to car for work the following day.

I have actually got a set of LED's for the dash that I found on ebay, not sure why I thought there were only 2 bulbs as there's easily 5 or 6 still in the padded envelope!

no worries. try and do most of yoru work on saturday's that way if you f**k it up, you got sunday to try and come up with a fix :)

what type of led's have you got? cuz some are better than the others at throwing the light when you put the new ones in

Mate it's a 30-45 min job. i didnt bother taking off the steering wheel either if you jiggle everything you can get it to clear. I also didnt bother disconnecting the loom from the clusteri just flipped it over carefully and worked with the loom in place...

Not the best pic but this is what mine looks like

S14interior.jpg

Also you dont get those 'bright' spots that you can see around the 7-8000rpm mark on my cluster, i think its just cause of the angle of the photo its aiming more towards the LED (through the guage itself) if you understand what i mean. from the drivers/passanger seat it is a really even display of light

grimace_racing - that looks pretty neat. where did you buy your leds from and how long have you had them in your car? i heard the ebay ones both die quickly or are sometimes even dead on arrival and have heaps more bright spots that leds from well known shops.

I got them off ebay from 'ZAP something' cant remeber the full name. I'll try to find you a link later on, i got them about 6 months ago and i have my lights on pretty much when ever i drive (tassie and its shitty wet cludy days lol) and not one problem at all.

The bloke is also very good and will fix you up if you have any dud bulbs but from all his feedback it happens very rarely.

Best $20 in cabin mod around even if your just replacing them with a standard colour, makes the dash look 10 years newer lol

looks like the quality on ebay is going up. Sellers must be started to realise that ripping ppl off isnt the way. id be keen to find out the name of the selller as im planning on doing this mod soon aswel. cheers

wow that one looks pretty impressive, is yours the same as that or does that picture look better than real life?

No mine looks just as good. i took the photo off a crapy camera phone in shit light. when its dark it looks filth and like a factory fitment. my photo doesnt do them jusice.

Although when fitting them test it and look at the cluster to make sure your happy as you can turn them 180 deg to get a different light output. by that i mean it has 5 different light emitting parts so if it looks dull in one section by rotating it you then get 3 sections to light that area that looks dull instead of 2. you'll see what i mean when you get the kit.

I think thats why some people arent happy with them is because they dont actually use their brain when fitting them (and its not hard lol)

ok sweet im sure ill get it working properly. Have you bothered with changing your aircon/climate control leds? saw a write up on that and look pretty cool too but that required puttin in your own leds with resisters and last time i tried to do that on a car it got a little bit messy.. lol

ack I dont think I got the ZPE ones, I cant remember though, so it's possible, anyway it was for an experiment. If mine end up looking half as good as yours, Grimace I will f**king go nuts in a very good way. Actually quite stoked, might chuck em in Friday after work if I'm on Dayshift!

Now onto whether I get some blue non HID lights for the front, but that's another topic for another day ;)

yeah ashman i think it was urs that i was referring to. i used to have a supra and i found a write up for that and i tried to follow it but that one required more custom work aswell. like the housings the bulbs sit in all needed to be modified for the leds and then with the resisters the back cover wouldnt go on and it was just a drama, sometimes when things got pressed against it they would flicker and turn off. was a massive headache. maybe ill man up and give this one a go but

If your smart enough to operate a screwdirver and change a light bulb you are qualified to do this conversion lol

At worst even if one blows a year its only 45mins to fix. buy 2 kits and then you will always have spares but the quality of the ZPE ones are great and so far been problem free so that may be over kill

Ahh this thread is still here..

I ended up ordering LED's for a normal analogue dash, I naively thought the digital dash would require the same bulbs as the analogue, but it doesn't. First try, we took out the whole dash, removed steering wheel as well to get more room (the loom connected to the digi-dash was nowhere near long enough without being unplugged) Ran out of large LED's (only got 2 in the pack) put it all back together after blowing/replacing a couple of fuses.

Two weeks later (hey I am a busy dude sometimes!) came back with some more large sized LED's and fiinished the job (after blowing and replacing more fuses). I must say it looks pretty bloody cool, but turned out to be a minor headache to complete. I dont think we were meant to tinker with the dash, somehow.

Lesson, dont rest the actual dash on the steering column coz it'll short fuses. Maybe obvious but even 'brushing' it on the steering column seemed to blow the fuses.

Mission successful!

First try, we took out the whole dash,

you took out the whole dash???? you only needed to take out the speedo part man

or is the digital dash completely different? :unsure:

Okay maybe I used the wrong term, by dash I mean the half oval shaped piece of molded plastic that houses all the dials and symbols etc. Pretty much everything people in this thread and on that above posted guide said I wouldn't have to remove ... I had to remove, but it's all good :)

An enlightened bulb is formed for the lights for the hall. The turfs of the myperfectresume cost are invited for the main territory for the block. Passage is done for the beautiful colors. The string is run for the movement of the things for the citation of all issues for the management of the terms.